Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cilantro and Onion Salsa

It seems that we end up eating tacos quite often.  Usually once a week at least.  Sometimes it's just regular tacos with ground beef.  Other times it's pork or chicken.  Regardless of what type of filling our tacos have I always like to have something fresh to go with them, so generally we have tacos on Thursday nights because the Farmer's Market is Thursday morning.  I will make guacamole, pico de gallo, or salsa depending on what I can get that looks good that particular week.

Well this past week sucked for produce.  In Florida we're at that in between stage.  The farms in GA are just about done and nothing here has started producing yet.  Grrrrr.  I was able to get some nice cilantro but the tomatoes were crap.

So what was I going to do for tacos tonight?  Then I remembered a delicious condiment type thing we had when we were in Cozumel that came with the carnitas.  I think I did a pretty close re-creation and Tony loved it...


Cilantro and Onion Salsa

Ingredients:

1 red or white onion, diced
1 bunch of cilantro, picked and rough chopped
1 jalapeno, small diced (more or less depending on the heat you want)
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Cover and refridgerate for about 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
Serve with any type of tacos, nachos, or with chips.



4 comments:

Terri said...

I absolutely love cilantro with Mexican food. I always have a small bowl of chopped cilantro as a condiment. But I love your idea for a cilantro salsa! Perfect!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Looks delicious! I love cilantro!

Maureen Reynolds said...

I too am a cilantro lover and this one looks pretty darn good. I'll have to try it also with some chopped canned (yes, it's post tomato season in MD) fire roasted tomatoes.

Aggie said...

I could live with this as a taco topping for sure. I love all the green from the cilantro & jalapeño!