The girl’s have been asking (read begging) for me to bake something, anything. I have been in involved in a weight loss challenge with a bunch of people at the BMX track and I really didn’t want to have to pay any money just because I am very weak and will eat just about anything sweet in the house, hence there has been very little baking going on around here! Now that the challenge is over and I won, I can get on with baking up some goodies!
Today I thought I would start by baking some cupcakes…trouble was I couldn’t decide how to top them!
Angel Food Cupcakes (adapted to cupcakes from allrecipes.com)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Be sure that your muffin pan is prepared and lined with cupcake liners. Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time. Do not over mix. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 or less full. Refrigerate the remaining batter for the next batch.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cupcakes are a nice golden color.
- I rolled some still hot cupcakes in White Sparkling Sugar and allowed the rest to cool for frosting.
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (Hershey Cocoa container)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.