Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Quick and Easy Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Have you noticed that pretty much the only things I do right now are things that are quick and easy?  Sad but true.  I am busy…

I went searching yesterday for a quick and easy recipe to make some pumpkin muffins.  I wanted something that used no appliances and I could whip out in a matter of minutes with minimal mess.  These were perfect and fit my criteria flawlessly!

P1020108
See the crunchy cinnamon/sugar coating on top?  It absolutely made these muffins!!!

Pumpkin Muffins (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
Adapted from the American club, in Kohler, Wisconsin via Gourmet Magazine

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (from a 15 ounce can)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Makes 12 muffins

Put oven in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Put liners in muffin cups.

Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth.  In another bowl whish together the flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.  Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and whisk until until just combined.  Be careful to not over mix .

Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in another bowl.

Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about three-fourths full), then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.

Cool in pan on a rack five minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature.

20 comments:

Elle said...

Beautiful muffins, Judy! The cinnamon sugar on top must be the perfect topping to a great pumpkin muffin. Will have to give these a try!

Spryte said...

YUM! Love pumpkin muffins... and the topping looks perfect!

Megan said...

Now this is my kind of muffin!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The cinnamon sugar on top would make this for me too.They remind me of mini doughnuts at the fall fair only better.

sunita said...

Love those muffins Judy; cries autumn to me :-)

easy recipes said...

What is a pumpkin-pie spice ?

Pam said...

Those look really good and cinn/sugar topping..yum!

Enjoy!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Easy recipes-pumpkin pie spice is simply is spice mix that you can buy but it is simply just cinnamon, ginger,nutmeg and allspice or cloves. http://southernfood.about.com/cs/pumpkins/ht/pumpkin_spices.htm

Bob said...

Looks awesome! I love spice muffins/breads, I need to start busting some out now that the cool weather is here.

Thistlemoon said...

I love that you made these muffins with ww flour! Pumpkin muffins are my favorite of muffins!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Yeap, quick, easy and fitting in the season... A perfect post

eda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dharm said...

Nothing wrong with quick and easy Judy! These muffins look more than lovely. I especially like the sugar cinammon on top!

lisaiscooking said...

I want pumpkin everything right now! I have pumpkin scones on my list for today, but next I want to try these muffins. They look great!

LoveFeast Table said...

I've never seen a pumpkin anything I didn't like!! I'm a Minnesota Mama who likes my pumpkin muffins too! http://lovefeasttable.com/blog/minnesota-mama-pumpkin-muffins/ Will have to add your to my book! -Chris Ann

Bren said...

anything pumpkin during the fall season works with me. i looooove the pumpkin soup that Au Bon Pain serves. We don't have one in ATL so it's nice being in DC and sipping on it. The muffins look juicy!!

cookeaze said...

So Classy and Elegant! You make it look so easy.Good presentation and i really loved and enjoyed it.Absolutely stunning as usual and always you are an inspiration.Thanks for sharing.

anglouise said...

I just made these and they are FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will be sharing a link to your site on my Facebook page so my friends can try this recipe too!

Gina said...

I just made these and followed your recipe exactly. I've never made muffins before and now that I know this recipe I don't think I'll ever stop! They are DELICIOUS! Very easy recipe to follow, thank you so much for posting this!

Unknown said...

Hi, I am making these muffins with my 4 year old daughter's preschool class in the morning and Smitten Kitchen didn't say how many muffins the recipe made. So happy to find it here. Your blog is fantastic. I like you already :) I'm a stay at home mom with two small kids and have the same feelings about organic/local/hormone-free, etc. Come say hi sometime at http://www.yummymummykitchen.com