Thursday, November 13, 2008

Farmer's Market Day and a chili recipe!

This weeks haul: cucumbers, scallions, radishes, beets, tat soi (Asian spinach), lettuces, eggplant, bread and some really, really stinky blue cheese (not pictured cuz I didn't want to touch it again!)

Friday night of last week was our Monthly Potluck. This is an event that a bunch of us decided to do because we felt like we were all losing touch with each other. The kids are all at different schools now and we are all so busy with after school activities that we were going months with only the odd email or text message in between. If this is happening to you and you want to start something like this and need more info as to how to do it, email me and I can lend you a hand! It is really working out so great for all of us. Anyway...where was I???

Confessional Chili - David Durk, whose career in law enforcement has spanned 23 years and included a stint as the partner of the famous Frank Serpico, purports to have served this atomic chili to tight-lipped prisoners and potential informers, many of whom he claims "would never talk to a New York Cop." How soon after consumption did they start gabbing? "Immediately," he laughs.

Oh yah, a chili recipe. Last months hostess was Kathy and she made an incredible chili. Of course I asked her for the recipe...but when I was ready to make the recipe I realized I had some of the wrong stuff (crushed tomatoes not whole tomatoes and certainly not 3 lbs of beef). I made do with what I had and it turned out really, really good but was it as good as hers? Nope, need the freshness of the whole tomatoes!!!

The cornbread turned out really good this time and I topped T's and my side with jalapeños and I managed to keep it from falling and cracking on the counter!

Confessional Chili (New York Cookbook by Molly O'Neill)

Ingredients:

2 to 3 large onions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
3 to 4 small Indian green chilies, chopped, or 4 jalapeno chilies, chopped (including the seeds), or 3 tablespoons extra-hot ground dried chilis
3 tablespoons peanut oil
3 pounds lean chopped sirloin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon ground coriander
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
2 cans (28 ounces each) imported Italian whole plum tomatoes
4 bay leaves
2 cans (16 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch cilantro or Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, rinsed and chopped.

Directions:

1. In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onions, garlic, and chili's in the oil until the onions are translucent, 5 minutes.

2. Crumble the chopped sirloin over the top of the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper; stir in the coriander, cumin, thyme, and oregano. Cover and cook until the meat is cooked through, about 7 minutes.

3. Pour the tomatoes into a small bowl and coarsely crush with your hands. Pour the tomatoes and juice on top of the chili mixture. Stir in the bay leaves. Cover or leave uncovered, depending on the consistency you prefer (a covered pot with yield a thicker chili), and simmer until the flavors are well married, about 30 minutes.

4. Stir in the pinto beans and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve at once.

Serves 8 to 10

I ended up halving the recipe and using crushed tomatoes (recommend whole-the taste wasn't really fresh like it should have been). Despite my errors this is an incredible recipe and goes wonderfully with all sorts of toppings:

jalapenos
onion
cheese
tortilla chips
sour cream

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

17 comments:

MrOrph said...

You gotta love a great bowl of chili.

I haven't made mine yet this season, but the wife will begin bugging me soon enough! :-)

Peter M said...

Nice haul from the market and stinky cheese is good cheese!

Chili's one of my faves, and the sirloin type like yours is beyond words...even a Texan will dig this.

lauren said...

New reader! Your pictures are so bright and clear - what is your secret?

Thistlemoon said...

Love those farmers market photos! :)
That chili looks great too! Love the name!

Patsyk said...

Your chili looks perfect for the cold, rainy day we have here. Now, I'm going to have to make some of my chili!

Anonymous said...

Your farmer's market finds look great! And I have been craving chili lately. Unfortunately it looks like we're about to have another heat wave here so I'll probably hold off on it for another couple of weeks. Bookmarked! :-)

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

a bowl of that would be just right now! it is getting really cold here in newfoundland!

Anonymous said...

You call this slop CHILI.

I just wish all of you bloggers who don't know what "chili" is all about would just go the fu** away.

Louide Wyers,
"therealchiffonae"
Serious Eats staff

Mike of Mike's Table said...

lol, great story behind the chili--you've got me craving some! And what a collection of produce! I really should just sign up for a CSA already...I'm always hesitant about it.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi MrOrph-We sure love a great bowl!!!


Hey Peter-That's some pretty stuff huh? T. loved his cheese!

Hi Lauren-No secret. I take all my pics outside where I have good light and I take a ton of shots as I don't have the time for photoshopping them!

Hey Jenn-Thanks-lovin my Farmer's Market. You need to come to one!

Hey Patsyk-Too bad we didn't have that weather!

Hey Nicole-I'm with you. Bookmark it!

Hey Dani-Isn't it always cold in Newfoundland???

Ugh Chiffonade-go haunt someone else!

Hey Mike-I told you last year. CSA all the way!!!!

Darius T. Williams said...

Wow - looks great - and love the name!!! LOL

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

taste memory said...

that's great you are near a hefty farmer's market.....the fm's by me are a bit small + not as consistent. sounds like comfort in a bowl!

MrsDocChuck said...

That's my husband, Charles Treuter, posting as Louise Wyers/Chiffonade. Again.

He is not a well mad. Obviously.

I am sincerely sorry for his disruptive behavior.

Dazy said...

This recipe is really going to keep me busy in the kitchen with all its glamor. This is another must for the weekend! My kids would just hug me for this.

Jenn&Marty said...

I've been making confessional chili for years, always to rave reviews! My variation is to serve it over basmati rice with a healthy dollop of goat cheese melting on top. Mix it up for a deliciously different chili! Even my husband, who doesn't care for tomato- based chilis, loves this one!

Jenn&Marty said...

I've been making confessional chili for years, always to rave reviews! My variation is to serve it over basmati rice with a healthy dollop of goat cheese melting on top. Mix it up for a deliciously different chili! Even my husband, who doesn't care for tomato- based chilis, loves this one!

Jenn&Marty said...

I've been making confessional chili for years, always to rave reviews! My variation is to serve it over basmati rice with a healthy dollop of goat cheese melting on top. Mix it up for a deliciously different chili! Even my husband, who doesn't care for tomato- based chilis, loves this one!