Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chili Nachos!

Chili Nachos with cheddar, onions and fresh jalapeños!

It was lunch time and I was HUNGRY!!! I looked in the fridge and there were a ton of possibilites. Leftover chili, tuna salad, veggies, salad...I didn't want any of it though. Then my eyes lit up and I knew what I had to have!!!

Venison Chili Nachos:

I used the recipe that I posted a couple of week ago for Confessional Chili (posted below). This time though I followed the recipe completely except for the fact that I used ground venison not beef. This was only because it's what I had on hand right then. Venison is a very lean meat with a stronger flavor than beef. This is a great recipe to use it in as the spices and herbs used help to cover up the different taste!

I took out a handful or more of tortilla chips, topped them with cheese, preheated chili, onions and fresh jalapeños. I broiled this just until the cheese was melted. Made for a great lunch!!!

Confessional Chili (New York Cookbook by Molly O'Neill)

Ingredients:

2 to 3 large onions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
3 to 4 small Indian green chilies, chopped, or 4 jalapeno chilies, chopped (including the seeds), or 3 tablespoons extra-hot ground dried chilis
3 tablespoons peanut oil
3 pounds lean chopped sirloin (used ground venison)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon ground coriander
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
2 cans (28 ounces each) imported Italian whole plum tomatoes (I used Muir Grove chopped tomatoes and I have to say they were incredibly delicious!)
4 bay leaves
2 cans (16 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch cilantro or Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, rinsed and chopped.

Directions:

1. In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onions, garlic, and chili's in the oil until the onions are translucent, 5 minutes.

2. Crumble the chopped sirloin over the top of the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper; stir in the coriander, cumin, thyme, and oregano. Cover and cook until the meat is cooked through, about 7 minutes.

3. Pour the tomatoes into a small bowl and coarsely crush with your hands. Pour the tomatoes and juice on top of the chili mixture. Stir in the bay leaves. Cover or leave uncovered, depending on the consistency you prefer (a covered pot with yield a thicker chili), and simmer until the flavors are well married, about 30 minutes.

4. Stir in the pinto beans and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve at once.

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

12 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

Oh my, I am giving this recipe to a friend--a man who just got a buck.

Patsyk said...

Love the look of those nachos! Way better than what you get out at the chain restaurants! I could eat the whole thing myself.

Nina Timm said...

Nachos is without a doubt our favorite snack!!!! Your version looks so scrumptious!!!

Preston said...

I love chili and I love nachos. How awesome!

Brittany said...

Oh that looks perfect! I love meaty nachos!

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks fabulous. Where did you get the venison? Do you know a hunter? I've been trying to find it here in Melbourne, even farm-raised, and none of my normal haunts have any to sell.

Peter M said...

Homesick are ya Judy? You know the chili nachos get served up here in pubs in TO? I got a hankering for a platter now!

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks great - I love really good nachos!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

my mouth is watering!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi maybelle's mom-If your lucky he will share some with you!

Hey Patsyk-I did!!!

Hi Nina Timm-This was really yummy and a great way to use up chili!

Hi Preston-Thank you!

Hey Brittany-Me Too!!!

Hey Peter M-T. hunts and so does his family. This came from them. If I had more I would get you some but T. won't part with what he has and his Dad has been sick and won't get one this year!

Hey Peter-Yes I am. Kelsey's had the best!

Thanks DTW!

Hey Dani-These are easy to do!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Oh , I could go for some of these but i prefer the beef ones.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

When only the best will do!!!