Monday, June 23, 2008

Royal Foodie Joust

One of the best tasting tarts I have ever made!!!

This has been a pretty challenging month for me cooking wise! I have my 2 girls home from school for the summer and it has really changed the way that I do things. I tried doing my Royal Foodie Joust entry a week or so ago and screwed it up something terrible. Since then I have tossed around numerous ideas. The ingredients this month, apricots, ginger and butter, were so good I was even tossing around doing a savory dish! Thanks for the ingredients Erin!!!

But because of time constraints and my constant company (that seems to need constant enertaining???) I decided to perfect the tart that I had messed up so bad last week. I think I did it!!!

This is the same tart recipe that I got from Nikki of the Canary Girl. Since then though I have modified it til it is almost unrecognizable! It is truly one of the most versatile tart recipes I have ever used. It is fast and simple and a great way to use up that over ripe fruit!

The apricot/ginger combo was great!!!

Apricot Ginger Tart

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
juice of 2 lemons (around 1/2 cup)
1/2 inch piece of ginger peeled and minced
5 apricots peeled and sliced (place in boiling water and then ice water to help peel them easier)

Preparation:

Preheat your oven to 300ºF/150ºC.
Add the flours, powdered sugar and butter to your food processor and pulse until it comes together in a dough.
Press the dough into a tart pan, using your hands and fingers to spread the dough evenly.
Par bake the dough about 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
Raise oven temperature to 350ºF/175ºC.
While cooling, combine the filling ingredients.
Beat eggs first, then add remaining ingredients, except the apricots, whisking well to combine.
Pour filling into tart shell, and then arrange the apricot slices in filling.
Bake about 25 minutes, or until set.
Garnish with powdered sugar if desired.

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so good, Judy! I am going to print this recipe out too.
The ginger, lemon juice, and apricots sound like a good combo.
Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Judy, this is a great tart recipe. I made it again along with your key lime pie for the dessert table at our party on Friday. Everyone raved about both! And what did one lovely guest bring as a hostess gift? A beautiful bottle of Limoncello! Now off to the store for some berry juice! Yum!

glamah16 said...

Beautiful tart! I like these ingrediants for this months Joust. I hope there are apricots in my CSA box today.

Peter M said...

Way ta'go Judy...you're perseverance paid off with a good lookin' tart and a fine Joust entry...may you come in 2nd place right after mine! lol

Brittany said...

OMG I have apricots, I could potentially try to make this! Besides, I adore ginger, and it looks divine.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Thanks farmgirl-it is a great combo isn't it??

Oh lmcc-I am so glad that everyone enjoyed it!!! Enjoy that bottle of Limoncello

Oh Glamah you get your CSA box? I am so jealous...I have to wait until November before mine starts!!!

Hey Peter-This was a great tart but definately not a winning entry. There are some really good ones there this month! I so need a new apron though...I guess I'll have to buy one!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

You did it Judy!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck in the Joust..it is so much fun to come up with ideas:D

Thistlemoon said...

Looks totally awesome Judy! best of luck as always! :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Val-I love the Joust for the step out of my comfort zone and also not having to come up with ingredients!!!

Thanks Jenn!!!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blend of falvours & good luck with the joust!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

That sounds delicious and it looks beautiful! Great work with this tart!

Heather said...

What the - ? I already posted a comment here, but don't see it. I think it said something about what's inside being what counts, or sommat. Oh wait, this is the same thing as last time, just prettier. I knew you could! :D

Dharm said...

Looks just fantastic Judy! Good luck in the joust. I think it would make the perfect dessert to go with my Apricot chicken! LOL :)

Unknown said...

mmmmm, great blog. keep up the good work.

The wife said...

this looks so yummy! I can't wait to try out this recipe!

Cine Masala said...

You've a nicely done site with lots of effort and good updates. I would like to welcome you to submit your stories to www.surfurls.com and get that extra one way traffic to your site.

Núria said...

Wow Judy! Your tart looks superb!!! I don't know if I'm in the joust this month... it's hard for me to find ginger and the ingredients are so "bakery"... I think I will pass this over.

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you all firsthand that this tart is very delicious!! I luckily stopped by Judy's house at just the right time and ate her leftovers. Oh yeah. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

mouth watering. hope i could make my own...

Anonymous said...

I love the idea and always try and use ginger as much as I can. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! There I get immediately hunger.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

recipes2share-thanks for publishing my pics!

Hi Mike-Thanks so much!

Yes Heather-It was a rerun but a perfected one at that!!!

Thanks Dharm and it would go great with your fancy French chicken!!!

Thanks so much Bud!

The wife-It's a keeper!

Thanks Jack!

Hi Nuria-Can you not get ground ginger in your spice section?

Thanks Shellie I am so glad you liked it. Your one of my favorite testers now!!!

Hi ging-give it a try it is super easy!

Thanks San Francisco Photos-Let me know how you like it!

CRM-Eat!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Judy, good luck on the Joust. Your tart looks absolutely delicious.