Monday, June 9, 2008

Black Gouper and a day at the beach!

Black Grouper served with Mango Salsa!

On Saturday afternoon, after we had finished all of our other errands we were deciding what to have for dinner. I suggested some fish so we went to Andy's Island Seafood (check out this site) in the nearby village (very quaint) of Matlacha (pronounced Matlashay). This is the market that we have been getting all of the snapper (see here). I get my shrimp someplace else because these guys charge more than my other ones! We went in and the first thing that I saw was black grouper. They also had hogfish, mangrove snapper, yellow tail snapper, triple tail and red grouper. Local clams and shrimp as well. This place is always nicely stocked with very, very fresh fish caught by local fisherman!



Anyway the black grouper is one of my favorite all time fish. This time we had decided that we were just going to grill it on a flat iron (season it with salt, pepper and paprika) and then I would make some salsa to go along with it. I made a mango salsa that paired wonderfully with this firm, sweet tasting fish!

Mango Salsa (for seafood)

Ingredients:

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and cute into 1/4" cubes
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/4" cubes
1/2 half large onion, chopped
1 lime, juiced
2 tbs cilantro, chopped
2 jalapeños, membrane and seeds removed, chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped

Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least and hour to allow the flavors to blend.
The beach at Manasota Key - Crystal clear, shallow, warm water!

Yesterday we decided to have a nice leisurely day at the beach (yes Peter, I did leave the pool...to go to the beach!!! Bahhhhhhhh!!!). The water was crystal clear and nice and warm. The girls spent most of the day snorkeling and finding shark's teeth.

Not a bad weekend at all!!!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

11 comments:

Peter M said...

Andy's fish shack looks awesome...I'd be his best customer!

Fish and tart mango seem to go well...very Gulf of Mexico-ish, eh?

As for your day at the beach...remember while it will be so hot in FLA and you have to stay indoors with the AC...I'll be sunkissed by that Greek sun and cooled off by azure Aegean waters. ;)

Anonymous said...

The black grouper and mango salsa looks and sounds wonderful. I love seeing fresh seafood on ice.
The ocean looks inviting and beautiful.
Have a good day!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

That looks like a fun day...and a delicious dish! I don't think I've ever had black grouper. Do you know if its very different from red grouper? Curiosity aside, it sure looks deliciously done!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Peter-Yes I realize that and that is the only reason I can mock you about my great weather! Love Andy's seafood. Have never been disappointed there!

Thanks Pam...I bet it looks goods to you with 100 degree heat there! You need to head to Tybee for a bit!

Oh Mike, if you haven't had black grouper you really need to try it. The flesh is firmer than red and much sweeter and richer. Absolutely delicious piece of fish!

Anonymous said...

OMFG this looks incredible! I wonder if we have black grouper around here? I'll have to google the translation and check with the fish monger. Beautiful beach, too! :)

glamah16 said...

You have the life down there! Good food,beaches, sun.

jessbat said...

I like your simple treatment of the fish before adding the salsa. The salsa looks wonderful too!

Núria said...

Oh, Judy... can't wait to do this myself, but still have to wait until August!!! Shark teeth? The daughter of my husband makes wonderful neckless and earings with shark teeth :D... and sells it after ;-).

Your fish looks so wonderful with that sauce on! I should use mangos in my sauces too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy,

I was just writing about fish and mango salsa on my blog a moment ago ...before I read yours ... GREAT Florida minds think alike! Scary!

CHEERS!

Denise

Thistlemoon said...

That looks like pure heaven! Who says FL doesn't have good eats!? I love mango salsa by the way - delish!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Nikki-I hope you can get it!!! That is one of my favorite beaches!

Hey Glamah-I know it! Hope your trip is going well?

Hey Jessbat-simplicity rules when it comes to fish!

Nuria-Mango is a natural paired with fish! I usually just use what I have around me. Luckily I have mangoes and avocados

Hi Denise-crazy huh?