Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sunday was Soup Day...

Egg Drop Soup the Chiappini Way!

First off Mom - Happy Birthday to you! I love you and wish I could be there to share this day with you (I would have baked you a great big huge delicious cake as well). Enjoy your day! P.S. took care of the flower issue and they have made it better! Glad you like them!

So around here Sunday has become Soup Day. I think because it is near the end of my produce week and I have found that this is a great way to get rid of all of the leftover things that I have so I can be nice and cleaned out for Wednesday when I go to the Farmer's Market again! This Sunday though I had no bones to make a stock from so I used some organic free range chicken stock that I had bought at Costco (gotta love Costco) and tossed in some onion and onion tops, celery, carrots, garlic, parsley and a tsp of thyme. I turned my pot on low and off we went for the day!

I had been looking for some other Farmer's Markets in my area and I was coming up with nothing. I love the one that Worden Farm's holds on Wednesday but, human nature - we always think that there might be a better one out there! I found one that sounded kinda neat but it was in Tampa which is about 2 hours from here. We had nothing else going on other than tidying up the house which I will find any excuse to get out of...so to Tampa we went!
It was a true hippie type thing. I am really not so into all of that. Personally I am not out to change the world by eating organic and free range this and that. I want to feed my family the best tasting and safest food products available. Amid all of the recalls I think that this is almost becoming a necessity as opposed to a choice! So for me this was a little over the top. But I was able to get some duck eggs!!! The woman who was selling them had already ran out of chicken eggs so I got the next best thing I could! I was also able to get my hands on some heirloom seeds to start for the fall. Other than that the produce that I get from Worden Farms was far superior to theirs and this place smelt very strongly of patchouli and other herbs! Would I go again...probably not but I am glad that I went and saw that the grass was definitely not greener there!
My happy, fresh, duck eggs!

Note attached to the egg carton

So with my eggs in hand we drove back home and were going to stop at Ada's (like a Whole Food's but local) or Publix and grab some chicken to cook into the soup I had started at home. T. then suggested that we use the eggs to make egg drop soup. What a great idea that turned out to be!!!

We added some of the swiss chard and potatoes I had left over and then broke 3 eggs into a bowl, scrambled them and then dropped them into the soup through a strainer.

Would I make this again? Most definitely and if you can ever get your hands on some duck eggs I would highly recommend them!

I was going to tell you about the delicious goat milk pudding I made for dessert last night but I have my oldest daughter home from school today (apparently they don't take to kindly to your daughter vomiting throughout the classroom) so my post is shorter then I had wanted it to be! Tomorrow will be pudding!!!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wait, does the stamp on the tag say "Pet Consumption Only"? :D

I can't wait for the farmer's market to re-open. It might actually be getting close!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Same as my goat milk...they have some crazy laws here! But yeah for real, honestly I am only using it for my pets...yup, uhuh!!

Our Farmer's Market here will be closing soon. I think March is that last month down here. I can extend it a bit by diving further North but I need to figure out how important this is to me!

Peter M said...

I love swirling egg drop in soups. All your hearty soup needs is a good grating of parmesan.

Anonymous said...

I hope your daughter is feeling better.
I am impressed! Goat milk and duck eggs. I live on a farm and you are eating more farm stuff than me. Now I am jealous.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Oh Peter pleased be assured that my dh puts Parm on just about everything!!!

Ga.farmgirl- if you had any idea what I just paid for a dozen eggs you would scold me! If I had a farm I would be way too busy raising everything to make anything with it!